The novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) and associated disease (COVID-19) are understandably causing a lot of concern among people undergoing fertility treatment. We wish to assure all of our current and new patients that we are closely monitoring the situation and will remain by your side to help you meet your family-building goals. Your health and safety, and that of our care team, is our top priority.
Midwest Fertility Specialists is following the guidelines for fertility care providers put forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), and the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM). We encourage you to visit these organizations’ websites for reliable information about the coronavirus and its potential impact on your care.
What Our Patients Need to Know
While our offices will remain open and staffed with physicians, nurses and office support staff, we are moving away from in-person appointments and toward telemedicine. A few important things to know:
- Many aspects of fertility care can be handled without an in-person appointment, so we are making telemedicine appointments available immediately.
- All new patient visits, and visits for existing patients who are not in cycle, will shift to telemedicine.
- Under recommendations from ASRM, all new cycle starts have been temporarily postponed and will be rescheduled for a later date.
- If you are mid-IVF or -IUI cycle, you will be able to complete your cycle.
Please see detailed information below, and visit our FAQ page if you have specific questions about COVID-19 and fertility or pregnancy.
Information for Patients Who are Currently Undergoing IUI or IVF
To support those patients who are already in-cycle, we will use both telemedicine and in-office visits for monitoring. We are taking extra precautions to ensure your safety and support the recommended social distancing measures.
- If you are in-cycle and have an in-office appointment, please do not bring anyone with you. Others who accompany you must wait outside of our office building or in their vehicle. Please make childcare arrangements.
- We have added extra disinfection practices for our facilities, which are always maintained at the highest levels of cleanliness and safety. We have the personal protective equipment needed to protect you and our staff members.
- All patients and employees who enter our office will be screened for symptoms daily, and will be asked about potential exposures. Anyone exhibiting any symptoms will be asked to reschedule.
- If you have been exposed to anyone suspected to have COVID-19, have traveled recently, or are experiencing even mild cold or flu-like symptoms, please call our office and let us know before arriving for any scheduled appointment.
Once all current cycles are complete, we will provide all services through telemedicine.
Information for Patients Preparing for a Cycle
Patients who were scheduled to start a cycle in the coming weeks have been contacted about rescheduling. These cycles do require in-office visits, which we must limit at this time.
We understand the emotional and financial investments you have made in your fertility treatment, and we hope you understand that this is an incredibly difficult decision for us as well. However, our first priority must be the safety of you, your loved ones, and our team members. We will be closely following the guidelines issued by national and local authorities, as well as ASRM, and will reach out to patients to restart new cycles once it is declared safe to proceed.
For all new patients, and existing patients who are not currently in-cycle, all appointments will take place by telemedicine.
We understand that this is a stressful time for everyone, and especially for people who need fertility care and are eager to grow their families. Because time is of the essence, we will employ every available option to ensure that you continue moving forward on your fertility journey. We are currently able to support many aspects of fertility care through video consultations, and are exploring in-home testing if needed.
By continuing to support new and existing patients through telemedicine from our offices, our goal is to give you a head start on any treatment you may need to move forward quickly once the crisis has passed.
Our office support team is available to assist you with questions about insurance coverage and out-of-pocket costs for remote visits. Please contact us for assistance.
We Are Here for You
We understand that right now, there are many unknowns. We wish to reassure you that one thing will not change: We will always be here to support you and help you achieve the family of your dreams. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.